Kids and Teens
Empowering Young Voices. Increasing Fluency.
For an older child or teenager, these formative years can be tough even without a stutter. Add a stutter to the mix and these years can be even more challenging. But that doesn’t have to be the case. We help children and teens who stutter increase fluency and self-esteem.
Why should my child receive speech therapy?
As a child who stutters get older, both struggle and tension are likely to increase. He or she may begin to avoid words, sounds or situations. Over time, stuttering can reduce how children feel about their own ability to function in the world.
When working with school-aged children, we focus on building self-esteem, improving fluency and providing a supportive outlet for exploring thoughts and feelings related to stuttering. We work with the entire family, as we’ve seen how this provides the greatest chances of success.
What happens when my child or teen is treated?
During the first session, we assess speech fluency and overall speech and language ability. Through conversation and self-assessment, we learn how stuttering is impacting the child or teen’s life, as well as how they feel and think about their speech. From there, we create a personalized treatment plan that addresses the physical, mental and emotional aspects of stuttering.
While every child is different, therapy commonly involves:
- Reducing stuttering tension and blocks.
- Encouraging your child to overcome speaking fears and avoidance. We’ll teach them ways to feel more comfortable in school, social and family situations.
- Improving overall speaking skills and comfort in public speaking situations.
- Helping the family talk openly about stuttering and to provide ongoing support to their child.
After attending therapy at AIS, kids have gained the skills to speak more easily, and feel empowered to speak freely, live authentically, and pursue every one of their dreams.
What are the treatment options?
- AIS offers one-on-one sessions that can be done weekly, bi-weekly or monthly.
- Our AIS Teens group is for kids aged 13-17. In these group sessions, teens learn new skills and have the freedom to discuss the mental, physical and social aspects of stuttering with other teens who “get it”.
- A one-week intensive session for teenagers. Ideal for teens who live outside of the area or those who want an “immersive experience”, this program can change a teenager’s life. Teens from recent intensives report that it helped them feel more confident and speak more freely – in school, at home and while spending time with friends.
Services are currently available in New York City, Atlanta, and Online. To learn more about any of these programs, please contact AIS at 212-633-6400 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also email AIS directly by clicking here.